Call for Membership
Carnation Contemporary is currently accepting applications for new members!
OPEN CALL for artists looking for gallery exposure and dual/group exhibition opportunities with member-run gallery Carnation Contemporary in Portland, OR.
Deadline: Sunday, January 2nd, 2022 by 11:59pm (Pacific Standard Time)
Come join Carnation! Founded in 2018 by a collective of Pacific Northwest-based artists who champion critical and contemporary artwork, Carnation Contemporary is looking for new members! We are a cooperative gallery supporting emerging and mid-career artists from the Pacific Northwest. We exist to elevate underrepresented artists and expand the status-quo of what it means to be a contemporary art space at this time. As a member of Carnation Contemporary, you’ll help to steer the direction and programming of this contemporary art space in Portland!
Applications will be reviewed for gallery membership for our upcoming 2022 cycle (February 2022-January 2023). For the 2022 exhibition season, all Carnation shows will be two-person exhibitions. The decision to present two-person exhibitions for the upcoming year reflects our interest in the generative energy that can come from collaboration and an interest in extending Carnation membership to as many artists as possible. If selected, you will be paired with another Carnation member to present a two-person show or curatorial project for one month in our exhibition cycle.
Additionally, member benefits include opportunities to participate in and initiate special projects and events (in the past this has included pop-up events, holiday sales, group shows, membership exhibition exchanges with other artist cooperative galleries etc.), gain a network of supportive peers, be featured on Carnation’s website and social media, and have professional documentation of your exhibition provided to you.
Before applying, please thoroughly read through our membership benefits and responsibilities, which you can access by clicking here.
If you are not able to confidently commit to the membership responsibilities, this opportunity may not be for you.
01/02/2022 11:59 PM (Pacific Standard Time)
- Application Fee: Free
- Eligibility: Age 18+; Residing in the Pacific Northwest*
Artists of all mediums and genres are encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Email a single PDF to email@example.com that includes the following:
- Your Name
- Answers to the following questions:
- How did you hear about this opportunity?
- What are your goals as an artist? (50 words or less)
- Why do you want to be a member of Carnation Contemporary and what do you hope to experience, learn or gain from being a member of an artist-run gallery? (100 words or less)
- What skills or talents can you contribute as a member of Carnation Contemporary? (web building, social media, grant writing, event planning, etc. 25 words or less)
- 10 Work Samples completed in the last 3 years
- Label each work with artist name, title, year, media, and size
- For video or audio work, please include a still or image with a link for us to review online. If the work is longer than 5 minutes please provide a clipped version or a time stamp where we should begin watching/listening.
- Suggested information: exhibition history, awards, press, education
- Label PDF LastNameFirstName_NewMember.pdf
- Email Subject must read “New Member”
Carnation welcomes applications from BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+ community members, people with disabilities, and others who are underrepresented within the arts.
*Carnation Contemporary is dedicated to representing artists residing across the Pacific Northwest region. Members who do not live in Portland, OR should be prepared to make occasional trips to the city to get the most out of their membership. Many of our members live across Oregon and Washington, creating a community network much larger than the Portland, OR area!
Applications will only be accepted via email. No physical application materials will be considered.
Thank you for your interest in Carnation Contemporary! We look forward to your application.